You are here:

Antique Furniture/Ladderback Style Wing Chair



Hello Bob!

Please see the attached image.  Could you tell me what the technical term for this style of chair is?  I have tried to research it on my own but cannot find any "Wing Chairs" with the exposed ladderback and am beginning to wonder if it is because it is a rare chair.

this is mid century and is actually called a ladder back wing chair.  some things do not fit into neat categories and this is one.  during the 50-60s there were a lot of 'colonial revival' pieces built in maple, cherry, birch and beech, all light woods to replicate, rather loosely at times, items of the colonial times.

usually you see ones that had a removable cushion in the back but there was a line made as yours.

is there a label?

Antique Furniture

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


robert klein


Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.


I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

Past/Present Clients
They deserve privacy, sorry.

©2017 All rights reserved.