Antique Furniture/Baker credenza

Question
Credenza View 2
Credenza View 2  

Baker label collage
Baker label collage  
Hello George,

Please see the credenza pictured below. There is a label in the right top drawer which identifies it as purchased at John A. Colby and Sons in IL. There is another label in the left top drawer identifying it as a Baker piece, but we were unable to find any other reference information. Dimensions are 48 cm deep x 80 cm tall x 152 cm wide. We would like to know when it was built, the style number, and anything else that would help us in determining the authenticity and value of this piece. Thank you so much.

Answer
Hi Karen,

Your being unable to find information for your Credenza or what I would call a Buffet
Server is not so surprising, considering the 1000's of pierces the Baker Furniture Co.
has produced over the years.

After pouring through my baker reference books I was unable to find a reference for it.

This will happen with some pieces from various volume furniture companies that are
constantly introducing new models. These pieces are given a somewhat short period
of time to perform or else they are discontinued.  In the case of your piece I would
bet that would be the case. My feeling is that this pieces was introduced in the late
sixties to nineteen seventies'.

Just as I find the overall design lacking, my guess that is how the piece was not
welcomed in the marketplace.  Since I feel the piece has very limited appeal in today's
marketplace, I am assigning a range of $250. - $275.

Best Wishes,
George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III