Antique Furniture/captains chairs?

Question
old chair
old chair  

old chair2
old chair2  
I think this is a style of captains chair, but not sure. They are both very sturdy, tho one has a wire type support on the bottom. I am going to redo them, not because of value, but because of age and appreciation of older wood furniture. Are they captains chairs, how old, about, are they, are they worth the effort to redo. It won't be costly, and I am retired so I have time. Is the wire brace original? It looks as old as the chair. Both chairs are tight. The metal rods on the arms are tight.

Answer
these are from around 1880.  you will find this style from 1880-1920 in pictures of old offices, courtrooms, saloons.  made by many different companies or manufactorys in different woods, usually mixed woods.  hickory, birch, cherry, ash, chestnut, and elm i have seen.

captains chair is a good descriptor, i will recheck old catalogs to see what they were called in the period.

many were manufactured with the metal rod, other types of chairs had this as well.  not as common to see the under wire but i have sen catalogs online from that time period with the under wires from the factory.

i see that some regluing is needed, the original glue was animal glue or hide glue, applied hot.
make it your friend if you are going to get into doing repairs on old pieces.  make shellac your friend as well. these are not so easy to find in decent condition, i have been looking for a while to find a complete set of 6-10 matching.

Antique Furniture

robert klein