Antique Furniture/carved chairs

Question
full view
full view  

close up of carving
close up of carving  
Thank you for your most speedy response to my last question.  If I may prevail upon you with another question, this one might be more obscure. We have two chairs which my mother-in-law says were made by her ancestors in NYC in the mid to late 1800's.  She said their factory was on Prince St, I think.  I know she has photos of them in thier native costume and I think they were Bavarian or from Austria.  My brother-in-law has an arm chair from the set.  My mother-in-law reupholstered the chairs.  I have more photos if you would like.  Do you have any knowledge of this company and what these chairs would be valued at for sale and for insurance? Thank you in advance--I am most grateful for your time and generosity in sharing your expertise.

Answer
There were a lot of manufacturers operating in New York City around the 1870s when these were made.
They are walnut and burl walnut veneer. victorian renaissance revival.  someone will tell you they are John Jelliff because of the masque but I can say with great certainty that the company was only one of many many that did this style.

We would have to search all the archives of NYC during the 1865-80s to acertain the name of the company to match it to what might be the street, or check the county records for manufacturing census at that time and again try to match to the street.

does your mil know the company name or any other info

Antique Furniture

robert klein