Antique Furniture/Rocking Chair

Dark Rocking Chair
Dark Rocking Chair  

Caning on rocker
Caning on rocker  
Hello, I am looking to find out what kind of rocking chair I have, its approximate age and origin, and approximate market value.
It has cane detail in the splat (hope I got the term right). It has a dark finish which appears to be original.  It has a box stretcher, and the back spindle-to-seat connections are through-holed and wedged.  One of the back spindles is broken; it was fixed by someone with tape some time ago, and I'm afraid I'll damage it further by removing the tape.  Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

nice!  1910s colonial revival rocker, original finish.  

it is done in the windsor style.  modified bent back or hoop back. windsor style were that the undercarriage and the top begin and/or terminated at the seat.

you will probably need to have a good furniture restorer repair or replace the spindle.

where are you in CA?  i might know someone there that can help you.

at that time there wer 5000 manufacturers in operation so the original will remain a mystery without a label.  as to fair market value, with the broken spindle it will not be high, with it repaired, about 150-200 depending on location.  insurance  replacement value is higher.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.