Antique Furniture/vanleigh / Berkley & Gay desk

Question
desk
desk  

desk
desk  
Hello there, inquiring about an old desk that has the rectangular Vanleigh metal plate makers mark in the center draw and Berkey & Gay round gold plate makers mark on upper right drawer. I have never came across apiece with 2 marks. Any info on this piece such as the actual maker and time period would be appreciated. Also the value in rough condition. Thanks

Answer
Hi Nick,

I would like to first address the two labels that your vanity-desk has attached.
The Vanleigh label is most likely the name of the furniture store that originally
retailed this piece.

In looking at the size and overall configuration, it appears to me that this
would have been sold as a ladies' vanity, along with a matching bench seat and
mirror, most likely long gone by now.

Factoring in the general lack of interest with today's average buyer and coupled
with what appears to be major condition issues to the veneers, I place a value of
$125. to $150. on this piece, depending on a buyer looking to take on a major
project to rescue it.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III