Antique Furniture/vanleigh / Berkley & Gay desk

Hello there, inquiring about an old desk that has the rectangular Vanleigh metal plate makers mark in the center draw and Berkey & Gay round gold plate makers mark on upper right drawer. I have never came across apiece with 2 marks. Any info on this piece such as the actual maker and time period would be appreciated. Also the value in rough condition. Thanks

Hi Nick,

I would like to first address the two labels that your vanity-desk has attached.
The Vanleigh label is most likely the name of the furniture store that originally
retailed this piece.

In looking at the size and overall configuration, it appears to me that this
would have been sold as a ladies' vanity, along with a matching bench seat and
mirror, most likely long gone by now.

Factoring in the general lack of interest with today's average buyer and coupled
with what appears to be major condition issues to the veneers, I place a value of
$125. to $150. on this piece, depending on a buyer looking to take on a major
project to rescue it.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.