Antique Furniture/Antique chairs

Question
Antique Chair (1)
Antique Chair (1)  

Antique Chair (1)
Antique Chair (1)  
Would like any information that you can provide about these antique chairs.  Thanks so much, I really appreciate your time.

Answer
Hi Barbara,

Thank you for your question regarding your chairs.  I am not sure how many of these chairs
that you have, but I will base the value on a single chair and then you can do the math.

Let me start off by saying that based on the overall form which is very lacking and construction that I am able to see, the are not antique chairs.  First off, to be referred
to as an antique, they would have to be 100 years old, or older.

I date the chair to about 1940. Some of the most notable shortcomings are the anemic
legs both in the front and the very thin, and almost straight vertical rear legs. These are
signs of lessor quality and built to a price, rather than a high standard. In building a superior form,one would have to use almost twice the amount of mahogany and that relates
to higher production costs.

When you take into consideration the untold millions of pieces of furniture that was manufactured in this country, with an aging population and today's buyers looking for
more casual and ultra comfortable seating. I am afraid that your chairs do not cut the mustard.

What I am seeing today is chairs like yours are going begging at $25. It comes down to
more second hand furniture out there than buyers. I am not trying to be funny, but with
younger buyers I find families that can not give furniture away to their children.

Wishing you the very best.

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III