Antique Furniture/Dining Set

Question
Dining Set
Dining Set  

Table top
Table top  
This Dining set was passed to me from my mother.  She bought it in the early 70's.  I think it was made in Grand Rapids, MI.  I am curious about the value of it.  I can't find a manufacturers label on the table itself, but on the slides (which may have been replaced) it says "Watertown Slide, Watertown, Wisconsin".  There is an imprint on the table underside that says (I think) Derwent Walnut 786 and also 786 is written in black near that.  

The dimensions of the table are @ 43" wide x 62" long with no leaves in.  Two leaves included are 17" each, so the table is 79" long w/1 leaf in and 96" long w/2 leaves in. There are only 5 chairs.  
Thank you.

Answer
Hi Mary,

It is difficult to pin-point a manufacturer for your table and your chairs as well,
which are in the Baroque - Jacobean style.  This particular style of furniture
was very popular from about 1900 to 1930. Afterwards we experienced the colonial
revival style after tourists starting visiting Colonial Williamsburg, being re-
introduced to Colonial architecture and period colonial furnishings.

While you mentioned that your mother bought this furniture in the 1970's, she obviously
bought it second hand since is was long out of favor back then.

Your furniture, while it is usually well made, unfortunately there is no real market
for it today. My experience is that it attracts buyers that are price shoppers and
can not afford what they really want, The market today is for clean simple lines
and modern furniture from the 1950's is very hot and all the rage right now.

At auctions,I see tables like yours, go begging for $150. to $300. and companion chairs
fetch $25. to $50. per chair.  Larger sets of 10 to 12 can bring slightly more.

I wish you success in finding a good home for them.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
<www.americanainteriors.com/>  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III