Antique Furniture/Empire Display Cabinet

Mr. Klein,

This was identified as an empire display cabinet resting on a rams head decorated chassis made of mahogany and embellished with ormolu.  There is what was called lamination damage and one of the long "leaf" metal pieces at the bottom is loose.  The top triangular piece is made with pegs and is removable.  Can you tell me who could have made this or approximate age.  Unfortunately, we are having to sell it so a reasonable asking price would be very helpful.  Thank you.

it is empire style but for me to determine if it is empire period and not from what is often referred to as late empire or empire revival or second period empire I will need more photographs.

the veneer cleavage or separation is not critical at the top.  it will need to be addressed but only by someone who knows how and what to do to stabilize and treat this.

I will send a list of what photos I need to see if you have time to take more pictures.  Where in Florida are you?

are there any markings anywhere on the piece and have you ever had it evaluated or appraised?  What can you tell me about it, where it came from, etc.

very likely there are no markings which is fairly common but it is always worth looking.

To determine age there are several things we look for.  Some factors/clues are form, balance, style,  type of construction, methods of construction, materials used, tooling marks left on unseen areas and even on finished surfaces.  Although age is not the more heavily weighted factor when determining fair market value it is still important and certainly something we like to know.  Two pieces built with the same factors excluding age would have the older or period piece carrying a higher monetary value.

i will get a list of photos needed this evening  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.