Antique Furniture/information on piece

Question
sideboard
sideboard  

label
label  
Hi, I just purchased this sideboard for $25.00 from the classified ads. I paint furniture and plan on painting and reselling this. I just want to make sure it is not a valuable antique prior to painting it (I don't think it is very old judging by its shape but want to make sure). In one of the drawers is a label that says Reprodux Bevan Funnell ltd. Newhaven, England. Can you tell me the approximate age of this piece and if it is of any value?
Thank you,
Kerry

Answer
Hi Kerry,

Nice buy!  My feeling is that you should just polishing this piece, keeping it as it is.
I think it would be criminal to paint it and for what reason?  Perhaps to appeal to some
dumbing-down buyer who's taste will change in 6 months.

Bevan Funnell is a well respected brand and I bet if they got word of you wanting to
paint their piece, they would come after you with a fire axe!

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III