Antique Furniture/information on piece

Hi, I just purchased this sideboard for $25.00 from the classified ads. I paint furniture and plan on painting and reselling this. I just want to make sure it is not a valuable antique prior to painting it (I don't think it is very old judging by its shape but want to make sure). In one of the drawers is a label that says Reprodux Bevan Funnell ltd. Newhaven, England. Can you tell me the approximate age of this piece and if it is of any value?
Thank you,

Hi Kerry,

Nice buy!  My feeling is that you should just polishing this piece, keeping it as it is.
I think it would be criminal to paint it and for what reason?  Perhaps to appeal to some
dumbing-down buyer who's taste will change in 6 months.

Bevan Funnell is a well respected brand and I bet if they got word of you wanting to
paint their piece, they would come after you with a fire axe!

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.