Antique Furniture/Interesting chairs

Question
chair
chair  
We recently acquired these chairs (for my birthday!!)and I wondered about the wood (cherry maybe?), the style, age, etc.  I think they've been reupholstered, but maybe not since they still have the old filler.  I thought they were very unique. I was told that the owner's grandma got it from family themselves.  They are in really good condition and I love the carvings.

Answer
1900-1910

wood is usually birch or sweet gum stained with a water based dye from the factory to resemble cherry or mahogany.  they have been recovered and refinished but it doesnt hurt anything.

they are called colonial rival and are a blend of victorian and empire.  part of a parlor set.

are they tight?  wheel should be on the front, not usually on the back.

Antique Furniture

robert klein