Antique Furniture/Interesting chairs

We recently acquired these chairs (for my birthday!!)and I wondered about the wood (cherry maybe?), the style, age, etc.  I think they've been reupholstered, but maybe not since they still have the old filler.  I thought they were very unique. I was told that the owner's grandma got it from family themselves.  They are in really good condition and I love the carvings.

wood is usually birch or sweet gum stained with a water based dye from the factory to resemble cherry or mahogany.  they have been recovered and refinished but it doesnt hurt anything.

they are called colonial rival and are a blend of victorian and empire.  part of a parlor set.

are they tight?  wheel should be on the front, not usually on the back.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.