Antique Furniture/Antique backless arm chair

Question
backless chair
backless chair  
bottom of backless arm chair
bottom of backless arm  
QUESTION: I want to know what kind of chair this is and how old it may be. I bought it at a yard sale and thought it was unusual. Underneath the chair it has those straps like the old lawn chairs and I was told the fabric was replaced so only the wood is original.

ANSWER: These are window seats usually double seaters but we do often see the single seats.  Often used at the foot of a bed as well.  the wood is birch stained from the factory around 1910 with a water based dye to resemble a dark mahogany.  

called colonial revival or empire style or both.

the strapping or webbing under looks to be original as does the dust cover.

wax with toluene free Briwax in the antique mahogany color.

QUESTION: If I wanted to have this insured what value can I put on it?
What is the best thing to do to maintain its value and condition?

Answer
extra insurance is not necessary just make sure you have pictures of all your items.

selling price retail in a shop would be around 350-450.  however you should triple that for an insurance replacement value.

for care:
wax with toluene free Briwax in the antique mahogany color. no oils or anything else.  use a vacuum gently to keep upholstery clean.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein