Antique Furniture/Kensington MFG Company

Question
Label
Label  

Front
Front  
I have a piece of furniture that I cannot seem to find any specific information on.

The back side has a manufacturing label (and a number) from Kensington MFG Company out of New York.(picture attached). It is hard to see the size on the picture but it is about 5,5 FT tall and about about 3,5 FT wide. I THINK it is walnut but I am certainly not sure.

I have tried to find information on manufacturer but what I found is slim to none.

Do you have any information on the Kensington Company, age of the piece and an approximate value?

Any information would be highly appreciated as it would be nice to know what it is and I can find no information.

Thanks,
Robert

Answer
Hi Robert,

While I was not able to find information regarding the Kensington Mfg. Company,
(most likely a small, short lived business),in reading the the label you provided,
I was able to see that they were manufactures and importers.

Many furniture companies here in the United States in the early 20th century made
furniture in the early Baroque and Jacobean styles, which is the style your piece
is taken from.  This particular form is often referred to as a Court Cupboard.  
Upon closer examination of the cupboard I am convinced that this particular cupboard
was originally made in England and was imported by Kensington Mfg. I say this because
of the carving profiles is more of the English manor as opposed to what was done in the
United States which would have had higher, more pronounced carving work.  In other
words, better.

While I do not have the opportunity to physically examine the cupboard to pass my final
judgement, if it was made here in the 1910-1920's time frame, I would place a value on
it at $350. to $500.  If it is an 19th century import, then the value can be worth a
thousand dollars.

Good Luck with it.

George E. Harrison III
<www.americanainteriors.com/>

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III