Antique Furniture/Antique smoking stand w/ ashtray

Question
SMOKING STAND
SMOKING STAND  

SMOKING STAND TOP
SMOKING STAND TOP  
Hi Bob! You've help me in the past.

I acquired the smoking stand and ashtray at an estate sale a bit ago. If interested, the ebay listing can be seen at - http://www.ebay.com/itm/140942568353?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m15

I am sure it is 1920s or earlier. Over 300 hundred people have looked at it and haven't purchased for $30. I am very surprised.

My question - Should I restore the piece? I've always heard that antique furniture lose value when restore. Yet, the amount of veiwers and no purchase seem to suggest its just to beat up. I'm looking for your expert opinion.

Thanks and have a GREAT day!
Bill

Answer
the handle is missing and the wood is a bit worn.  that is the stall on someone buying.

restoration done properly for the piece in question is an enhancement.  there are many levels of restoration.  a museum piece of great value would be stabilized then waxed with a proper wax.

a commonly used piece meant for an average home most likely could be refinished and if done properly is a good thing.  BUT each item must be evaluated on its own merit, there is no 'cover all' guide.

go ahead but you will not recover the time and materials invested.  build the handle.

Antique Furniture

robert klein