Antique Furniture/church rocker

church rocker
church rocker  

chair detail
chair detail  
Dear Mr. Harrison,
My fiancÚ and I received this rocker from his grandmother.  She got it from a church rectory which was being cleaned out.  The wood is oak, but I do not know the age of this piece or who might have made it.  It appears to be a Stickley style, but we've never been able to find another like it. If these were used in churches, they must be fairly common?  While we would never sell the heirloom, what do you think a value might be?  Thanks so much, :)  Elisabeth

Hi Elisabeth,

I must confess, rockers are not on my hit parade list and this is also true with
today's current shoppers.  With more rockers than eager buyers, one can witness
the declining values.

They have become the boat anchors of the day with the exception of a rare
18th century example. My feeling is that when viewing your rocker from an esthetic
point of view, it is lacking in fine design and is quite clumsy in appearance.

Rockers in general that are in clean serviceable condition fall into a value
range of $150. to $200. Of course when viewing it as a family heirloom, it is
difficult to assign a personal value, which can be priceless for many when
sentimental values are concerned.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.