Antique Furniture/Maddox Secretary Desk Value

I have a Maddox Colonial Reproduction Secretary desk.  Can you tell me approximately what it is worth?  It was refinished in the 70's and is in pretty good shape otherwise.  The drawers are tongue in groove and the underside put together with nails and glue.

Hi Laura,

Let's start with the fact that fall-front desks these days are dead in the water.

Some of the finest 18th century antique examples that fetched 40 to 60 thousand
dollars a few years back, are now going begging for $3000. to $5000.

You have to figure that a lower end, stylized example, and not a faithful reproduction,
that has aalso been refinished is now worth perhaps $250. to $300.

Lower quality traditional furniture is and has been in a free-fall.

BTW this is a desk, and since it does not have a bookcase top, it is not referred to
as a secretary.

Best wishes and good luck with it.

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.