Antique Furniture/Maddox Secretary Desk Value

Question
Inside
Inside  

Outside
Outside  
I have a Maddox Colonial Reproduction Secretary desk.  Can you tell me approximately what it is worth?  It was refinished in the 70's and is in pretty good shape otherwise.  The drawers are tongue in groove and the underside put together with nails and glue.

Answer
Hi Laura,

Let's start with the fact that fall-front desks these days are dead in the water.

Some of the finest 18th century antique examples that fetched 40 to 60 thousand
dollars a few years back, are now going begging for $3000. to $5000.

You have to figure that a lower end, stylized example, and not a faithful reproduction,
that has aalso been refinished is now worth perhaps $250. to $300.

Lower quality traditional furniture is and has been in a free-fall.

BTW this is a desk, and since it does not have a bookcase top, it is not referred to
as a secretary.

Best wishes and good luck with it.

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III