Antique Furniture/Tilt Top Table

Makers Mark
Makers Mark  

Full Table
Full Table  
Good afternoon,

You recently answered a question I had on some chairs and I would like to thank you for the quick response.

I have an older tilt top table I picked up in Kentucky and would like to know more are the age and maker if possible. I have found a makers mark with a Z and have not been able to find out who that maker is.

I have attached some pictures of the table and the makers mark and would love any information you might have on it. I can send more pictures of the hardware if that would help you date the table.

the mark could be anything.  i have to ask a lot of questions here an ask you to help me do the detective work.

here is a general description of how it should be and what to look for.

first, the legs attach to the column in one of a couple of ways.  turn the table upside down. Now look at the bottom of the standard where the legs attach.  either there is nothing to see other than the bottom of the standard, or the legs attach by having one dovetail each that is part of the leg but fits into the receiving part of the dovetail in the standard.  It might be covered by a piece of metal screwed into the legs and standard.  if there is a piece of metal covering the bottom of the standard remove it carefully, take pictures and put it back exactly where and how it was putting the screws back into the same holes also.  report back to my email with pictures of this.

next the piece at the top of the standard is called the block.  look at the top of the block.  what does it look line.  does part of the standard come through the block.  if so, is it round, rectangle, square, one piece coming through or two.  if something is coming through did it leave an impression on the underside to the top?  report back and send pictures.

on the underside of the top.  rub your hand under the top across, not with the grain of the wood.  is it smooth and flat or does in undulate like a calm sea.  picture a single parentheses with the edges up higher than the center, picture several linked together.  this is what you should feel and see, it should not be flat.  report back.  is the top made up of one, two, three or more boards glued together. look carefully it is often hard to tell.  tilt the top and back off and look at the underside.  is it darker at the top of the circle.  

let me know.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.