Antique Furniture/writing desk/sidetable?

front of piece
front of piece  

front with open desk
front with open desk  
Hi Mr. Klein,

I was wondering if you could tell me what this piece would be called. I have searched all over trying to find something similar and cannot. It appears to be a credenza with a writing desk hidden at the top. I acquired it from my mother-in-law and wanted to refinish it but she cautioned me that I should check to see if it is worth anything before I do so. Do you think it holds any value?

thanks in advance for your help!

it is a breakfront with a butlers desk

it does not appear to need refinishing.  buy toluene free Briwax in the antique mahogany color and wax the piece.  you will be amazed.

it should take 2-3 hours to wax.  less time means you didnt do it well.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.