Antique Furniture/gateleg table

Gate leg
Gate leg  
QUESTION: Hello I got this table for free out of an old barn . It was in the barn from at least the late 1920's I am fairly certain . other than that I do not know anything about it. It obviously needs refinishing but I did not want to touch it until I knew what it might be worth. There are dovetail joints on the drawer and pegs where any nails might be. It is very rough and looks handmade.  
I have included the two photos but can send more if you would like. If you would be so kind as to tell me what you think I would appreciate it very much
thank you
Marysue Price

ANSWER: Dear Marysue,

While I am not able to physically inspect the table, it appears that it could be an period New England "Butterfly" table with some real issues, but nonetheless restorable if it proves to be
a period table dating to the 18th century. The term "Butterfly" is a nick-name given to this
particular style of table since the leaves resemble wings.

My advise to you is to find a local antique dealer and ask them to look at the table.

You might start out by telling him that you do not wish to sell the table, but are interested
in having it restored.  This way you are more likely to get a more honest appraisal.

Best of luck with it.

George E. Harrison III

QUESTION: Thank you so much for you answer , I had never heard of butterfly leg and yes I can see that this is exactly what it is . especially after googling the term and finding images. If I were to have it restored how would I go about making sure that the restoration did not lesson or depreciate the value of the piece. Is there anything that I should watch for in a restoration and make sure that they do not or absolutely do take care of. the top is scratched and there is wear on the table . How much of this adds to its authenticity and how much should be repaired ? finally if this was restored to its best possible condition what would it be worth and should I have it insured for what amount ?
thanks again very much I really appreciate your help

I, or no one else for that matter can answer the questions that you are asking from
a photograph.

You need to find a professional restore in your area to answer all of your questions.

I trust you can find a reliable person in your area.

Thank You.

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.