Antique Furniture/Rockford furniture secretary

Question
Inside secretary
Inside secretary  

Secretary
Secretary  
Thanks for your quick response to my question about the Gov. Winthrop secretary from Rockford Furniture.   As the photos show, it is in fairly decent shape.  I'm curious about the approximate value.

Answer
this appears to b from the 1920s and is done in mahogany veneer.  Ideally this should be called a drop front or slant front desk or secretary.

The gov winthrop tag is used, albeit incorrectly, for the secretaries with a bookcase on top.

The finish is original, the shading is one of the finishes offered in the 1920s.  it was done by spraying the whole to the darker color than rubbing back to the lighter color.  The stains were actually water based--and the industry these days is making much ado about the introduction of water based stains 20 years ago.....

after a good waxing and cleaning and the veneer repaired this would sell retail in a store at 450.

Antique Furniture

robert klein