Antique Furniture/Rolltop desk

front of desk
front of desk  

side of desk
side of desk  
I am in Butte Montana. My dad had a roll top desk. He passed away a few years ago and we are in the process of selling the contents of the house. There is a note in the desk saying it is a Valley City Desk Co. desk (Grand Rapids MI) and is either a model no 5 or 6.

I have included a photo.

Any opinion on retail and wholesale value would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Burritt

p.s., I am also an expert in all experts. My expertise is in antique slot machines

wholesale at auction pricing would be 350-400

in shop pricing after some work and care would be double to 1000.

the surfaces appear to be dull with no coating.  if it is smooth then use a medium oak color, toluene free Briwax brand finishing wax.  coat the slot where the tambour slides as well.

grand rapids was the center of the furniture manufacturing trade in the late 1800s.

this was made 1890-1910.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.