Antique Furniture/Vintage Medicine Cabinet

Question
Medicine Cabinet
Medicine Cabinet  
Medicine Cabinet
Medicine Cabinet  
QUESTION: Hello Robert - it has been awhile since I have asked you a question. Hope all is well with you.

I am refinishing a vintage medicine cabinet that is unique based on any searching that I have done. The oak half goblet tops (not sure what to call these) are unusual. And the small protruding tray near the front bottom is held in place by 3 extremely rigid pieces of wire something I have never seen before. And the mirror frame has some very detailed copper decorations on it. The interior is pretty simple although it is partitioned.

Any guidance you can provide on this piece would be appreciated.

Gary

ANSWER: please show me a picture of the back and opened, thanks

Medicine Cabinet
Medicine Cabinet  

Medicine Cabinet
Medicine Cabinet  
QUESTION: Robert, additional pictures are included as requested.

Gary

Answer
It could be a shaving mirror that someone made from old parts or it could be a manufactured item.   

Cant really say but i would call it a shaving mirror since it resembles the upper part of shaving stands made around 1885-1900, which is the age of this.  Are the cups open inside or blocks?

I can say if I had this at my shop I would price it at 250-300 as it is shown.

the wood on the front is not oak as most would think, but is chestnut, which helps date it also.  chestnut blight in the 19teens killed the trees.  The metal corners i think brass.  the case part is old as well and made well, just as would be expected from the time.

Antique Furniture

robert klein