Antique Furniture/Cane Settee

Settee Arm
Settee Arm  
We acquired this little settee and have no idea its worth, history, or background. It does not have a solid seat but rather straps that allow a cushion to sit on it. The caning is in great condition. It has a gold type paint finish. I'm guessing the cushions are not original. It appears to be solid wood. We certainly have no expectations to value. Just want to have some sort of idea before we started to paint or refinish it. Thank you many times over for any help!!

the settee is not considered an antique as it is from the latter part of the 20th c.  but that doesnt mean it isnt nice.  it only means that is isnt antique by definition.

anything you do will only enhance the esthetic and associative value as long as it is done well.

i have seen these painted with the cane left natural, with the cane painted as well and with the cane painted a different color from the wood.  also seen these with the wood refinished in the fruitwood color shown, painted, and refinished in mahogany color and in walnut color.

your choices are endless as the form will lend itself to many combinations.

as to the cushions, there is no way for me to know if they have been remade but i suspect if they are not original then it is just that someone recovered them to match their own tastes.

it is in the hepplewhite style.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.