Antique Furniture/Rocking chair

Question
Rocker
Rocker  

Rocker back
Rocker back  
Hi! Very much appreciate the quotation at the end of your profile, by the way.

I bought this rocking chair off Craigslist recently. Injected some glue into the loose joints (pretty much all of them), gave it a good rub with orange oil, and re-covered the small circle in the seat (what do you call that, anyway?). That's the extent of my rehab efforts.

The only screws I encountered are those securing the seat pad to the chair. Everything else appears to be done with fine joint work and occasional wooden pegs.

The chair is on the smaller side: 32" high, 32" deep, 23" across.

Specific questions:

I believe this to be quarter-sawn oak. From the pictures, does that appear accurate?

How old does this appear to be?

Any identifying factors that would indicate a particular maker or region of the country?

... and of course any other info you care to throw into the pot is welcome - including the name for that little circular upholstered pad in the seat. ;)

Many thanks! It's generous of you to volunteer. Per your instructions I'll send more pics to your email address.

Best,
Angie

Answer
going back and seeing these pictures on the site it is only the front of the chair back that exhibits quarter sawn oak veneer.
=================

below is a repeat of the email i sent to you.  my comments are preceeded by [bk].
------

Hello Bob! The attached pictures are in addition to those posted with the following question:
[bk]
after looking at the pictures I thought it best to address the questions in this email for clarity

[bk] thanks, yours as well in the next email you sent

I bought this rocking chair off Craigslist recently. Injected some glue into the loose joints (pretty much all of them), gave it a good rub with orange oil,
[bk] toss the orange oil

and re-covered the small circle in the seat (what do you call that, anyway?).
[bk] there is no specific name for the padded replacement seat, originally it would have been an embossed fiber seat

That's the extent of my rehab efforts.

The only screws I encountered are those securing the seat pad to the chair.
[bk] added later to hold the replacement seat
the rod shown in one picture is original

Everything else appears to be done with fine joint work and occasional wooden pegs.
[bk] standard manufacturing features of the time

Specific questions:

[bk] the top of the back is quarter sawn rest is not

How old does this appear to be?
[bk] 1900

[bk] no.  it is a manufactured chair and common to any of the 5000 manufacturers in operation

[bk] often this was referred to as the golden oak period.  grand rapids, mi was the center of furniture manufacturing

[bk] thank you

Best,
Angie  

Antique Furniture

robert klein