Antique Furniture/Telephone Table

Question
Telephone Stand
Telephone Stand  

Telephone Stand
Telephone Stand  
Hi George,

I found this table on the streets of New York City.

I know this is probably outside your realm of questions/answers, but I am more interested in its purpose.    

I am not sure of the age.

It reminds me of a telephone table with a swing out arm for the old telephone, and a shelf for a telephone book, writing pad and pen.  

Or is it a vanity table with the swing out arm for a mirror?  

People have come up with great ideas, including a swinging arm to place your glass of wine, or a jewelers table, but I decided to ask the expert.  

Measurements:
Height: 29"
Width: 20"
Depth: 14"

Sorry I didn't wipe it down before taking photos.

Thanks in advance for your response.  

Best,

Denise

Answer
Hi Denise,

While you can possibly dream up a number of original uses for the table, it was
most defiantly made as a telephone table, possibly from the very late 1920's or
1930's.  

The swing arm with it's round pad was made to accommodate an earlier round base
telephone, I guess the manufacturer felt the style of phones would never change.
Unlike later phones which had a rectangular base.

You are correct that the shelf below would have been used as a place to store your
telephone book. The purpose of the swing arm was to move the phone off to the side
while having your phone book open for reading and being able to flip through the
pages, letting your fingers do the walking!

Hard to imagine in this day and age with the I-Phone.

Although the table is functionally obsolete by todays standards, I still feel with
a good clean up and polishing the table could fetch $150 - $175., if for no other
reason then for it's conversational value.

Good luck with it.

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III