Antique Furniture/Whitney Furniture Chest of Drawers

Question
Whitney Furniture Chest of Drawers
Whitney Furniture Ches  

Whitney Furniture Chest of Drawers
Whitney Furniture Ches  
Hi George,

I came across this small chest of drawers manufactured by Whitney.  This is the name stamped in one of the drawers.

I have tried to do some research on this furniture company, but have had little success.    

So once again, I call upon your 42+ years of expertise.

The small chest is very heavy, made of solid wood.  It is finished in a cherry color.  

The 4 drawers have dovetail corners and vary in depth from 3 to 5.

The top of the piece has 6 pegs, no nails/screws.

Chunky feet and nice work along the base.

Measurements:
Height: 29
Width: 15
Depth: 15

I am hoping you have additional information about the company, the piece itself, possibly its age, estimated value and more

As always, thank you in advance for your honest, detailed and often times witty response.

Best,

Denise

Answer
Hello Denise,

Thanks for your questions regarding the chest.

What little I have been able to come up with,the Whitney furniture Co. goes back to the early 19th century, manufacturing in Gardner, Massachusetts.  They started out with the production of chairs going back to the early 1800's and after several fires in 1899 and then in 1920.
the company created a new and much larger facility.

With their new and larger manufacturing facilities, Whitney turned their focus to producing
living room , dining from and bedroom furniture fashioned out of Maple wood.  

These small chests were often referred to as lingerie chests for ladies personal effects.

Your chest probably dates to the early 1950's and since it appears to be in a used state, I
would assign a value of $75. to $100. on it.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteeriors.com

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III