Antique Furniture/Barber Shop Sterilizer Cabinet

Question
Cabinet 1
Cabinet 1  
Cabinet 2
Cabinet 2  
QUESTION: Hello there! I have taken on a little project with an old sterilizer cabinet. This is my first refinishing project and I am trying to figure out what kind of wood this veneer is so that I can repair some chips. I believe it is walnut- do you have any idea? Also- with this type of cabinet what was the original protective coat(ie varnish vs lacquer)? I'm not trying to preserve any value,I just love the look and want to make it nice again. Thanks so much for any help you can give!

ANSWER: need close clear pictures of the wood grain to determine the wood.  often it is ok to use another fill, like wood putty then paint the grain and color on.  called inpainting.

it would have had lacquer on it in the 1930s but shellac or lacquer works--no urethanes.

once stripped the black marks on the top will go away with oxalic acid.  i can explain how to do that by email.  sanding will not work and will change the surface in a bad way.

Front
Front  

Bottom of cabinet
Bottom of cabinet  
QUESTION: Thank you so much! Here are some closer shots of the wood.

Answer
appears to be tulip poplar.

Many items have multiple woods.  for example often sweet gum, tulip poplar, magnolia and cottonwood might be mixed.  

When wood lots are cut with similar woods they are rarely separated for market so there will often be a mix throughout the process from cutting to the end retail outlet.

Antique Furniture

robert klein