Antique Furniture/Chair with unusual arms

Chair 1
Chair 1  

Chair 2
Chair 2  
This chair has slender "wings" that can be pulled out from under the arms.  Any idea what their original purpose was?  Thanks!

it is a reproduction of planters chair or a plantation chair.  originally from around the mid 1800s with cane or straw backs and seats.  they have evolved to ones like yours with leather and full fabric in the backs and seats and are no for indoor use rather than outside.

the arms swing out to rest the feet.

originally british design from the caribbean.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.