Antique Furniture/Childs Rocking Chair

childs rocking chair
childs rocking chair  

childs rocking chair side view
childs rocking chair s  
Today I picked up this rocking chair for $10.  I had intentions of taking apart and refinishing the chair for a friend, as a gift, since she is having a child.  Before I do this, can you please advise me on the possible year of the chair, or where-bouts?  I also don't want to destroy something original that may have more value un-touched.  Any information you can provide would be extremely helpful!  No matter what the value - I think it's a beautiful piece and just want the best for it!

proper stripping, and restoration will not hurt the value of this sewing rocker made in the
1910-20 era.
not sure why you would want to take it apart.++

without a label there is no way anyone can tell you the manufacturer out of the 5000 in operation at the time.

if you have no experience in refinishing or restoration you might consider starting on something else.    something flat like an end table perhaps, however, it you have experience then get your stripper, stains and shellac and have fun.  For example, this was originally stained with a water based dye in the cordovan mahogany color, and it should be restored in that same color.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.