Antique Furniture/is this dining table worth restoring?

Hi Bob,
My grandparent's purchased this dining table second-hand in Chicago in the 1950s. It's been in storage for the past ten years and now I have the opportunity to claim it. I'm a furniture novice, so I don't even know if this is a particularly notable piece, or how much it may cost to have it professionally refinished. The tabletop is is 4'x5' plus three 1' leafs. There is a worn decal on the underside that says "Peck & Hills" which I understand to be a retailer rather than manufacturer. I appreciate your guidance on the style, likely age and potential (restored) value. I'm likely to restore it regardless of value as I'd love to have my grandmother's table in my house. Thanks.

i commend you on wahting to keep family heirlooms.

the table is colonial revival style in the jacobean form made in the 1920s.  top will be either walnut or mahogany veneer, most likely walnut.  rest is sweet gum wood.

restoration would be high, about 1000-1500 minimum depending on where you are and if finished properly and professionally that would be the worth, the cost of restoration.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.