Antique Furniture/Drawer locks on sideboard

Question
mortised lock
mortised lock  

Rabbet
Rabbet  
I am still hard at work on my sideboard, but have a question about the drawer locks.  As you can see, the locks are mortised into the drawers, but the receivers for the locking bar are simply rabbets in the wood frame.  Should there be a metal plate over the rabbets, or did they just rely on the strength of the oak to secure them?  
Thanks again for your help.

Joan Headley

Answer
This is common and often seen.  the thickness of the wood will be strong enough in the pictured lock.  In some bookcases I have see the wood worn away to thin which must then be reinforces for the next 100 years.

That screw looks like it might tighten about a turn.  Using a screwdriver that fits the slot tighten all screws.

Antique Furniture

robert klein