Antique Furniture/Kindel dresser

Question
front
front  

back
back  
Mr Harrison I have a set of 4 drawer Kindel cherry wood dressers that we would like to know more about. Age an ball park value. On the backs they have fruit wood 60-51. I am sending two files.   Thank You

Answer
Hi Michael,

To give you a more complete understanding about the Kindel furniture company and the
place it has occupied over the years, I'll provide the following information.

The founder of the Kindel Furniture Co. was a gentleman by the name of Charles Kindel
who founded the company in St. Louis in the year of 1901. By 1912 Mr. Kindel had moved
his operations to Grand Rapids, a city that long been a major manufacturing center for
furniture.

While the quality of their furniture has always shared in fine quality construction and
quality materials, it was not until 1982 that the Kindel furniture company was awarded
the license to manufacture copies of 18th and early 19th century antiques from the
exclusive collections at the Winterthur Museum in Delaware.

Today, collector's are in search of these museum reproductions of Kindel furniture.
While the pieces that they made prior to 1982 almost go begging in the marketplace.  
The reason is not so much the quality but the designs.  Buyers today are more sophisticated and their interests lie in the very best examples of rare American antiques and not
stylized furniture.

Now, with the aforementioned being my preamble, I can tell you that your chest, while
being well made does not fill the expectations of the current buyers.  In fact, today there
is very little interest in traditional furniture, with todays younger buyers either
want mid-century modern or are content to go to IKEA. Kind of sad when you think about
that scenario.

Finally we get to price. While I see the pre-owned Kindel Winterthur examples selling
for handsome prices, to select buyers, a rather generic example of a 1950's chest like yours
I value in the $400. to $450. range.

I trust that you now have a better understanding of what you have and some background info
to go along with it.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III