Antique Furniture/Timber

Please would you know what timber the Victorians/ Edwardians  used to imitate mahogany. When stripped of polish the colour is green/ grey.
Many thanks

There were several woods used and unfortunately we cannot go by color to determine species.  Please post or email me a close clear picture of the grain in question and I will try to identify it for you.  Color is one of several indicators the main one and initial one being the grain both on the flat cut and the riff cut.  I have here at home about 175 wood samples about one third of which came from a school in Manchester.

Generally, in this country, we saw lots of tulip poplar used as a furniture wood and still so but also sweet gum and birch were used they dyed with a water based dye to the mahogany color.

It is often stated that you can tell the origin of an older piece of furniture by the woods used.  I take exception to that statement having seen old bills of lading and freight bills where for example, in mid 1800s, 80 tons of walnut was shipped on one ship to England.  One ship so imagine how much was imported and exported!

Standing by for photos.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.