Antique Furniture/Kittinger Chair

I inherited a Kittinger chair and would like to know something about it. I want to make a cushion for it, but would like it to look authentic. In addition to the Kittinger label, there is a small metal plate with MO-168 on it. The following numbers are also stamped into the wood: 1776. There is also a lower case b or p (depending on which way you look) stamped a short distance from the number.
Thanks for your help.

Dear Bernadette,

Thanks for sending along the photo of your Kittinger arm chair.

What you have is a chair that was made most likely in the 1920's, in the Baroque or
more commonly referred to in the Jacobean style.  This particulars style of furniture was
very popular back in the 1920's as many furniture companies were producing it up into the
1930's, until we reached the colonial revival period in America.

With the restoration of Colonial Williamsburg and opening it's doors to the public, it
became a major tourist destination, predating Disney World. With people flocking to
Colonial Williamsburg and really appreciating what they were seeing, it did not take long
for custom built Tidewater Colonial homes to sprout up across the country.

It was at this pivotal point in time that your chair and the Jacobean style fell out of
favor with the consumer.  What made this style so popular in the first place was the
English style of architecture, most notably Tudor style homes in which this style of
furniture was being used and so well suited.

Now, to get to the standard question of value.  Due to the almost total lack of interest
in the style of furniture, prices are and have been quite suppressed. I have seen complete
dining room sets go begging at a $1,000. to $1,500. I venture to say that the costs
associated with the fabric and the making of box or knife style cushion will exceed the
value of the chair, which I place at $75. to $100.

Good luck with your cushion project.

George E. Harrison III   Website  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.