Antique Furniture/maple spindle rope bed

rope bed
rope bed  
We purchased this bed a number of years ago in Steamboat Springs, CO.  Can you help us with an approximate time period in which this bed may have been made and an approximate value if possible.  Any other information regarding this bed would be appreciated.  

Some dimensions:

Siderails:  3" x 3" x 71"  outside to outside = 50.5"
Headboard/Footboard bottom rails = 3" x 3" x 45"
Rope pegs:  siderails 7" on center   HB/FB = 6" on center
HB/FB attached to siderails via metal threaded bolts
Corner posts 41.75" high

Thank you for your time and effort.

Hi Diane,

With no makers name and the fact that it is an earlier bed, there is not too much information that anyone can provide you with.  Your bed dates to about 1860 to 1880.

In addition to the term rope bed, these beds were often also called spindle beds or Jenny Lind
beds. As far as value is concerned, there are not too many buyers today looking for rope beds
since it is an ordeal to properly fit them with with intertwined rope. it would be better to fit the side rails with angle irons to hold a box spring mattress.  Another issue is that due to the beds dimensions and to insure a proper fit, a custom mattress will need to be made.

As far as value in today's world, $175. to $250. is a range I feel is a realistic price
for as bed wit very little demand.

Best of luck with it.

George E. Harrison III  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.