Antique Furniture/west Michigan furniture co.

Mr Harrison,

I recently picked up a large set of what i wad told antique furniture. I purchased it intending to paint it and use the set for my daughters bedroom as i liked the curvy features. When i went to sand the first piece i noticed a metal tag West Michigan Furniture Co Holland Michigan on the inside of the drawers. My mom is an antique follower and has always told me that I could be painting something that I shouldn't be so I called and she said don't do it. I am curious as to what I have and how to refinish it without damaging the value of it as it is prettybwprn. I have 9 pieces all together, two headboards, two footboards twin size, one tall dresser one long dresser w mirror side table and chair. any information would be helpful thank you again!

Hi Christine,

What you have is furniture that was produced in large numbers by the West Michigan Furniture Company. Established in 1889 the company thrived and employed over 600 workers until 1975,
when the business finally closed.

Keep in mind, that the interest level today for the furniture this country once produced has
been falling, dramatically.

With my 42 years experience and knowledge for fine 18th and early 19th century, I can tell
you that painting your pieces is not going to effect the value, since what you most likely
have, in looking at just the headboard, most likely have a total value of well under $1,000. and maybe not more than $500.

So I feel that you are safe to paint till your hearts content.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.