Antique Furniture/west Michigan furniture co.

Question
headboard
headboard  
Mr Harrison,

I recently picked up a large set of what i wad told antique furniture. I purchased it intending to paint it and use the set for my daughters bedroom as i liked the curvy features. When i went to sand the first piece i noticed a metal tag West Michigan Furniture Co Holland Michigan on the inside of the drawers. My mom is an antique follower and has always told me that I could be painting something that I shouldn't be so I called and she said don't do it. I am curious as to what I have and how to refinish it without damaging the value of it as it is prettybwprn. I have 9 pieces all together, two headboards, two footboards twin size, one tall dresser one long dresser w mirror side table and chair. any information would be helpful thank you again!

Christine.

Answer
Hi Christine,

What you have is furniture that was produced in large numbers by the West Michigan Furniture Company. Established in 1889 the company thrived and employed over 600 workers until 1975,
when the business finally closed.

Keep in mind, that the interest level today for the furniture this country once produced has
been falling, dramatically.

With my 42 years experience and knowledge for fine 18th and early 19th century, I can tell
you that painting your pieces is not going to effect the value, since what you most likely
have, in looking at just the headboard, most likely have a total value of well under $1,000. and maybe not more than $500.

So I feel that you are safe to paint till your hearts content.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III