Antique Furniture/antique arm chair

Question
arm chair
arm chair  

arm chair
arm chair  
Hello,

We UPcycle old furniture and repurpose it to be bright and modern.  Sometimes we find a piece that looks like it may be an antique.  When this is the case I would rather not destroy it.

That said I found this old chair at a rummage sale, thought it would look great painted gold with dragon fabric on it, but before I do......

Is there any value in it?  If so do you know any of the history behind a piece like this.  It has been re upholstered and looks like its had wood added to make the frame sturdier.

Thanks a lot.

Ken

Answer
Ken,

What you have is a chair which dates to the last quarter of the 19th century,
in the Eastlake style.

While the chair has a value of a couple hundred dollars, one would hope that
it could find a caring new home, that will preserve it, rather that torture it,
as you have plans on doing.

Unfortunately, you are not alone in todays's world, where people lacking in
historical knowledge, which translates into a basic lack of culture, are
constantly attempting to put a spin on all that this old.

My advise is that people should go to a museum and try an absorb some  basic
history in the arts and not be so quick to deface it.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III