Antique Furniture/antique chair identification

Question
what style/period is this chair?
what style/period is t  
Hello, I am upholstering a chair for a client and would like to know the style or period of this chair so I may select a fabric that would be close to what originally would have been used on the piece. thank you
Yve

Answer
it is a loose interpretation of a savonarola chair made between 1890 and 1915.

I cannot be certain of the wood from the photos.  the back will be a veneer, either oak or mahogany.  the rest will be either oak, if the back is oak, or figured birch if the back is mahogany.

this can be called late victorian but as to the fabric, anything works that has the 1880-1920 look.  I have even seen the original like this to be covered in fake leather so leather is a good choice as well.

i certainly hope they will let you or someone restore the wood first.  dont let them go with the "its worth more if it is left alone" course.  this is not one of those.  if the wood is restored it should be gently stripped of the degraded finish with a harmless stripper like lacquer thinner or methylene chloride, a gentle wipe with sandpaper (180 grit)a dark mahogany or cordovan mahogany color with a dye stain put on then coated with satin clear lacquer.  all rubbed smooth as silk.

i would like to see a picture of it done!

Antique Furniture

robert klein