Antique Furniture/Antique wooden chairs

Question
Antique Wooden Chair
Antique Wooden Chair  
Hello, I recently purchased 4 of these chairs and wanted to know if you can provide me any information on them. What period are they from. What type of wood are they? They were painted several times over with green and red paint, and I could not get all of it off without damaging the grain. Is it better to get all of the paint out, or is it OK to leave some?

Answer
around 1885 look to be oak but the picture is not close enough to see grain detail.  closer picture please.

these were seen in offices, courtrooms, institutions, homes.  very popular design when made, sturdy, well made.  I wish I could find a set of 8 or 10 that was in good condition and priced right...

leaving the paint rather than digging out the pores of the grain is better than having crevasses in the wood.  sometimes you can brush shellac on then restrip and get some more of the paint out but.. it depends on what stripper you use.

what paint remover did you use??

Antique Furniture

robert klein