Antique Furniture/Breakfront Secretary

bottom half
bottom half  

top half
top half  
I was given what I thought was a china cabinet but upon further examination I noticed that the bottom piece has a drawer that folds down. Inside are a few "cubby holes" and a small drawer which makes me think it is a breakfront secretary. The top part has glass panels that aren't flat but seem to have a curve to them. I would like to find out as much as possible about this before I consider selling it like era, manufacturer, etc. I have not been able to find any markings, but I just might not be looking in the right spot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your question.  The first thing to look for when evaluating a piece of
furniture, such as your breakfront, is it's size in relation to an antique example.
Original English Breakfront Secretaries usually run twice the size of your example.
Often they are referred to as Breakfronts with a butler secretary. Back in the 18th
century they were made for grand homes with butlers and staff.

That is an immediate tip off that your example is of a later manufacturer and built
for a smaller home and a person of modest means. Pieces like this were made by
numerous manufacturers and since it is not an important piece, there are not records
that would indicate a maker.

I date your piece to the 1940's or slightly later and of a lessor mass production quality.
Today, since the furnishing of traditional dining rooms has fallen off, prices for pieces
like this, have also.

Keep in mind, while automobiles are far easier to document their make and year, sorry to
say it does not work that way with all furniture.

With more breakfronts coming onto the market than ever before I place a value of $275.
to $300. on this example, which might be slightly more than what it sold for when new.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.