Antique Furniture/buffet or dresser??

Question
Buffet??
Buffet??  

weird striped wood??
weird striped wood??  
Can anyone tell me if this is a buffet or dresser?  I would also like to know the type of wood.  I have never seen any wood that looks like this, it almost looks striped-especially the bottom board that goes across from leg to leg. The mirror is a half circle with 2 beveled cuts, and the edge is beveled. I would love to know where it came from or the maker..if it was made in America?
I would like to know the value,  but I am keeping it so it really doesn't matter.
 I bought it for a dresser then noticed the mirror is way too short..Thank you for any help in finding out more about my beautiful treasure.  
Jana

Answer
this is referred to as deco style.  it is a buffet or sideboard.  could be  european but i would have to see the interior, back and inside the drawer holes to tell you.

many woods have figure.  this piece is probably figured birch and when it was refinished, which it was, the staining enhances the soft wood part of the grain.  wood grain is composed of soft wood and hard wood or early wood and late wood.  it alternates withing the growth rings.

i see these in shops prices between 375 and 550 depending on the shop.

there were thousands of manufacturers just in this country in the 1920s and 30s when this was made so without a label there is no way anyone can tell you which company.

the picture is too fuzzy for me to tell you the wood species in the body but a clear picture would help.

Antique Furniture

robert klein