Antique Furniture/Carved Chair style, age and value?

Question
Carved Chair
Carved Chair  
Back of Carved Chair
Back of Carved Chair  
QUESTION: Hi Bob!  I picked up two of these chairs from a church garage sale and was wondering if you could help me with the style and age.  They appear to be upholstered in a leather look material w/ black horse hair type stuffing.  I have no idea where they are from, what period of time they are from, nor the style of furniture that they are.  Also, what would the estimated value be on a pair of these if they were reupholstered, or are these those chairs that would be more valuable left in their original condition.  There are no marks/labels on the bottom at all.

Let me know if more photos would be of assistance.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Debbie

ANSWER: 1890-1900.  oak.  jacobean style.

wax only.  dark brown, toluene free Briwax.  do the seats too.  dont change anything.

I sold a set of 7 similar chairs two years ago that had a bit more carving with cane seat and cane in an oval in the back at 350 each as is.

if I had a set of what you have, 6 or 8.  I would ask 400/450 each as is.  insurance replacement value is higher.

the carving has good relief so they are not 1930s chairs as many of this style are.

QUESTION: Thanks so much Bob!  What a nice surprise. I can't remember if I paid $10 each of $10 for the pair.  Looks like I scored no matter which it was.

ANSWER: they are nice ones, you scored a hat trick

QUESTION: Hi again Bob.  I ordered the Briwax online and received it today.  What is the best method of application/buffing for these chairs with all the carving?

In the past, I've only applied wax to smooth surfaces, not carved.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer as I don't want to devalue them in the process.

Thanks again!
Debbie

Answer
vacuum the dust off first.

apply the wax with a cotton rag and round shoe polish brush.  A little is best.  shouldnt be globs on the chair.  gently and sparingly.

use a regular shoe brush on the carving to buff it once dry.  cotton rag on the flats.

you cant hurt anything.  go after it.

should take an hour per chair.

Antique Furniture

robert klein