Antique Furniture/China/Secretary Cabinet?

Question
China cabinet
China cabinet  
I recently acquired the attached piece.  I don't anything about it (except I love the piece)...thinking around the 1930's.  The front top drawer does pull down into a small writing area and if you pull the drawer out it does reveal several hidden drawers.  Hoping you can provide some information and possible value.

Thank!

Answer
Hi Joanne,

What you have is commonly referred to as a Breakfront, with butlers secretary.

This style originated in England, dating back to the 18th century.

Looking at your piece, I would say it dates to the late 1930's to 1940's and since
I can see it is of scaled-down proportions and was made for more modest homes, also
built to a price rather than a high standard, judging by the level of cabinetwork
and hardware.

Pieces like this were in a good number of middle class homes, especially after the
war as the middle class prospered.   Today however, breakfronts have somewhat fallen
out of favor since younger home buyers are not furnishing traditional dining rooms.
With out fast paced society, dinning is done on the fly and what was once a dining
room has now become a music room, home theater, home office or exercise room.

What we are looking at is a market that has become saturated, driving down the prices
due to less demand.  I have watched high end $30,000 breakfronts struggling to achieve
$1,500.  So, I feel you more modest example is valued in the range of $500 to $650.

As for a maker, it is very difficult to say since there were numerous furniture
companies grinding out pieces after the war and when the pent up demand was satisfied,
the interest level started to slowly decline.

Enjoy you new found treasure.

Best Wishes.

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III