Antique Furniture/Duncan phyfe

Question
China cabinet
China cabinet  

Table and buffet
Table and buffet  
I have a Duncan Phyfe dinning room set. It's different than  others I have seen. Just wanted your opinion if its an orginal or copy and value. Stamp on bottom of table 71G-3 MA6
Thanks
Eileen

Answer
Hi Eileen,

This is far from being a Duncan Phyfe dining room set, which would date to the early 1800's.  What you have is not even close to the designs of Phyfe's New York workshop.

Another tip off is the model number you found on your pieces.  That is a practice
of more modern furniture manufacturers and not a practice of the Phyfe workshop.

What you have is a Chippendale style dining set. Note the ball and claw feet on the
dining table, the dining chairs with open Gothic splats and also ball and claw feet.
The china cabinet is also in the Rococo style which is the current and up to date
description of furniture in the Chippendale style.

These are not identifiable since they are of a lower end quality make that I would
date to the late 1930's to 1940's. Back when they were new, the entire set could
have been had for not much more than several hundred dollars.

Today, I value the set for $350 to $500. depending on your market area.

Best Wishes,

George  E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III