Antique Furniture/Kittinger Cane Chair

I have acquired a Kittinger Cane Chair that has been in my family for quite sometime. Is there any information that you can offer from the photo?

Hi Lisa,

Being a long time dealer of Kittinger furniture, for over 40 years now, I wish that
I could tell you more about your chair other than the basics.

You see, there are no records left from the old Kittinger company since they were
destroyed by a former owner.  In April of 1990 I tried to purchase the Kittinger
company and while I have in my posession, all of the financial rercords, the
only documentation that would support pieces like your chair are gone, with the
exception of an ocassional early factory catalog that may appear on eBay.

Furthermore, I can tell you that the pieces that were produced by the Kittinger
company, in their earlier years are not sought after by today's buyers and collector's
of Kittinger furniture.  What the majority of buyers are looking for are the pieces
that Kittigner made for the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation from 1937 to 1990.

Now, along with that bit of informaton, I will tell you that your chair was most likely
produced in the 1920's which was when many companies, like Kittinger were producing
pieces in the Baroque and Jacobean styles.  When Colonial Williamsburg opened their
doors in the late 1920's, Williamsburg immediately became the Disneyworld of the day!

Tourists fell in love with the charm of Colonial Williamsburg and after returning
home, many folks started to commission Colonial style homes, like the ones they saw in
Williamsburg. Now prior to this craze, what we saw was a good number of English Todor
stlyle homes from the teens and the twenties.

Perhaps you can see why all the furniture companies were cranking out Jacobean style
furniture.  Today however, and ever since the days in the very early 1930's this style
of furniture has been out of favor and in my 40 years in the businesss I have not seen
any real interest in it and as a result, you will never see it appear on my website,
for sale. My thoughts are, why buy something that buyers do not want. Instead I focus
on what Kittinger has been best known for and that is the Colonial Williiamsburg
reproduction furniture.

Today, your chair has a value of $50 to $100. By comparrison, a good model Kittinger
Williamsburg reproduction dining chair can fetch over $1,000. It is and always will be
the buyer and their interest that will truly tell  you the importance of the pieces we own.

Best Wishes,

Geeorge E. Harrison III  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.