Antique Furniture/twistted wire cross bracing

Question
i have an antique piano stool that has twisted wire fashioned in a cross brace on the wooden legs. I am fairly certain its original to the piece but i don't know why. all of the pieces up for auction do not have this. however I did find a post where 2 internet users were conferring that their pieces both featured the same structural feature. Can you explain why this feature would have been incorporated?

Answer
it is not an original feature.  this was a common 'fix' when the legs became loose from the short stretchers coming form the central post.  saw this in a lot of chairs as well. have seen some pretty ingenious wire fixes over the years.  the ones that drilled holes into the chair or stool elements were offensive but still showed some ingenuity.

post a picture please  

Antique Furniture

robert klein