Antique Furniture/Windsor chair

Question
Windsor chair
Windsor chair  

Windsor chair
Windsor chair  
Hello,  

I was buying a couple bar stools from a rummage sale and saw this chair sitting in their backyard.  It wasn't part of the sale just something that's been in the yard for years?  They sold it to me for $3.  

The piece is in solid condition and besides being weathered it is missing a small claw piece on the left arm.  

So my questions are;

1.  Does this chair have value as is?  

2.  Can I restore this piece to add value to it?  

3.  Is there anywhere that I can obtain the missing claw piece?  

4.  Maybe a little insight into its history.  

THANKS A LOT!

Answer
Hi Ken,

What you have is a factory, machined, Windsor arm chair of poor quality.  When comparing
it to period,antique examples, it really is a big miss.

To my educated eye it is not much more than a pile of firewood.  Just to have a new
arm knuckle bottom return piece made would cost more than the chairs worth.  Also, the
time to strip, clean and refinish the chair would put the chair way over it's value,
when all work is completed.

Of course, beauty and perceived value is in the eye of the beholder and I do not want to
make it sound like you overpaid, but I feel there are better ways of passing ones time
than to get involved in a project with not rewards in sight.

Here is a link to my website, showing the delicate hand work of an exceedingly fine
Windsor chair.  If you spend some time studying it, you will see that your chair has about
as much finesse as a Mack Truck!

http://www.americanainteriors.com/catalog/SayboltComb-BackWindsor.html

Good luck with your decision.

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III