Antique Furniture/Windsor chair

Windsor chair
Windsor chair  

Windsor chair
Windsor chair  

I was buying a couple bar stools from a rummage sale and saw this chair sitting in their backyard.  It wasn't part of the sale just something that's been in the yard for years?  They sold it to me for $3.  

The piece is in solid condition and besides being weathered it is missing a small claw piece on the left arm.  

So my questions are;

1.  Does this chair have value as is?  

2.  Can I restore this piece to add value to it?  

3.  Is there anywhere that I can obtain the missing claw piece?  

4.  Maybe a little insight into its history.  

Hi Ken,

What you have is a factory, machined, Windsor arm chair of poor quality.  When comparing
it to period,antique examples, it really is a big miss.

To my educated eye it is not much more than a pile of firewood.  Just to have a new
arm knuckle bottom return piece made would cost more than the chairs worth.  Also, the
time to strip, clean and refinish the chair would put the chair way over it's value,
when all work is completed.

Of course, beauty and perceived value is in the eye of the beholder and I do not want to
make it sound like you overpaid, but I feel there are better ways of passing ones time
than to get involved in a project with not rewards in sight.

Here is a link to my website, showing the delicate hand work of an exceedingly fine
Windsor chair.  If you spend some time studying it, you will see that your chair has about
as much finesse as a Mack Truck!

Good luck with your decision.

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.