Antique Furniture/secretary desk

Question
SECRETARY DESK
SECRETARY DESK  

SECRETARY DESK
SECRETARY DESK  
I recently purchased a secretary desk. can you possibly tell me the age, style, value, and possibly type of wood?I think it's a slant top half secretary. any information is appreciated.

thank you for your time,
         Terry

Answer
it is a secretary desk with what is called a all front.  Made around 1890. Style is a loose empire style done in the golden oak period. Wood is quarter sawn oak veneer.  someone has removed the quarter sawn veneer from the face/front of the fall front.  as you can see it needs some professional repair to the left side of the fall front where the support attached.

the veneer that should be replaced on the fall front should match the veneer in the drawers.  If you will look you can see that the drawers are veneered with two pieces, that are bookmatched.  Fall front should be done that way as well.

as it sits the market value is not high.  Worth what ever you paid. 150-200.  This low number is due to condition.  fully restored--properly and professionally it would price retail in a shop at 1200.

Antique Furniture

robert klein