Antique Furniture/THOMLINSON SETTE AND CHAIRS

Question
SETTE
SETTE  

CHAIR
CHAIR  
I HAVE A THOMLISON CANE BACKED SETTEE ,CHAIR AND ROCKING CHAIR.I WONDERED ABOUT ITS WORTH

Answer
unfortunately, as nice as these 1920 pieces could be, the condition is a key factor.  Having worked on sets like these i can say they are expensive to restore the wood, caning and upholstery.  wood is most likely tulip poplar or sweet gum, both good furniture woods stained a walnut color.

as is they would bring a couple of hundred at most.  if restored they would not bring the restoration cost on the open market.  even so we have done seveal over time and the owners always very happy.  What you have to do with something like this, in fact, with most upholstered pieces is to compare with the cost to something new.  of course almost everything new is built with unstable woods, poor workmanship and poor joinery.

bottom line is this.  if you like it and want and can invest about 2000$ you will have a wonderful set that ill last another 100 years.

Antique Furniture

robert klein