Antique Furniture/Windsor chair

Question
Windsor chair
Windsor chair  
QUESTION: This Windsor chair has "Stickley Bros Co, Grand Rapids" imprinted on the bottom.  I bought a pair of them in the early 80's, from a doctor's office.  I found out that the Stickley Brothers Furniture Co. was in Grand Rapids, MI from 1891 to 1954.  I'm wondering what kind of wood it's most likely made of, how old it is and how much it's worth.  I'd really like to paint it, but wondered if I would be ruining the value.  Thanks for any info.

ANSWER: please post a picture of the label and a close picture showing the wood grain.

stickley bros co name
stickley bros co name  

wood grain
wood grain  
QUESTION: Here are the other two photos that you needed.  The wood grain is from the bottom side of the chair.  I realized that the finish on the whole chair isn't in very good condition.

Answer
wood is most likelybirch, not because of color but from the grain.

chair is typical of the colonial style Stickley Bros. Co. built in the 1940-50 era, as is the wood.  another thing that tells us it is of the 40s is the work.  and the color, the color is in the lacquer or coating.

painting will not hurt although i recommend strongly that you first coat it with clear shellac, then paint so in the future, as it becomes more valuable in decades to come, it can be returned to the wood.

as shown it would sell low because there are many of this style, of course, Stickley name helps

100-125 after cleaning up in a shop.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein